One of my blogging friends, Miss Zippy, recently posted about some of the memorable running highlights of her year and has invited others to join in. It is a fun way to look back at the year and share with others about the experiences you have had. Here is my recap of 2013:
- Best race experience? I am going to change this category to “Most Memorable Race Experience” because I feel that is a better a description of what the 2013 Boston Marathon was to me. You can read more about my experience in Boston here, but to sum it up, running my first Boston Marathon was one of the most amazing times of my life - the days leading up to it being surrounded with the energy all over town, the bus ride to Hopkinton with friends, the 26.2 miles of happiness and encouragement. It was simply magical for me. Then minutes later the magic ended when two explosions went off a few hundred yards behind me shortly after I had finished my race. My heart still hurts for the families that lost loved ones and the many people that were injured and live with the daily reminder of such cruelty. While there is much sadness that surrounds my memories of Boston due to what happened, I will not let that tarnish the joy that I also experienced prior to the bombs that day.
- Best run? I have been blessed to have had many amazing runs this year, but the one that stands out most to me is the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco. I ran this race with my friend, Sherri, just for fun, and it was a blast. It was nice to run a race with no time pressure and be able to take in everything happening around us throughout the race. The trip to S.F. with my husband and tons of friends was also a blast!
- Best new piece of gear? I got a new Garmin running watch when my other one gave out. I’m pretty addicted to keeping track of my stats, and this watch makes it easy to do that!
- Best piece of running advice you received? I’m not sure if I have a great answer for this question. I’ll have to say that listening to your body and knowing when to take a break is probably the best advice I have received, although I’m still working on putting that advice into action!
- Most inspirational runner? There are 2 people that jumped into my mind, both of whom just started running this year. My sister, Lori, has seen me run for years, and has cheered me on at a number of races (including my most memorable, the Boston Marathon), but never had any desire to join me. She took me by surprise earlier this year when she told me she had started running and went on and completed her first 5k race! Next is a friend, K.K., who also picked up running this year and in just months went from nothing to completing the Nike Women’s Half Marathon! I am inspired by these ladies, along with everyone else that is new to running or exercise of any kind, and decides to take on the challenge and begin to reap the benefits of moving their body.
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Blessed to be able to continue to move my body and embrace this gift that so many others do not have.
Pick 1 or 2 (or all 6) of these and share in the comments about your 2013 Running Highlights!